Some notes from my revision of 1st Year Greek:
Word classes – there are 8
- determiners – e.g. the article
- conjunctions – words that join clauses
- particles – words that don’t change form
Phrase types – there are 5
- verb phrase – a verb/predicate and any dependants
- noun phrase – a noun and any modifiers
- prepositional phrase – headed by a preposition
- adjective phrase – a phrase that modifies a noun
- adverb phrase – a phrase that modifies a verb
Clause elements – there are 7
- subject (S)
- verb/predicate (P)
- direct object (Od)
- indirect object (Oi)
- subject complement (Cs)
- object complement (Co)
- adverbial (A)
Clause patterns – there are 5
- intransitive: S P
- monotransitive: S P Od
- ditransitive: S P Oi Od
- copular: S P Cs
- complex transitive: S P Od Oc
Examples of the 5 different patterns (from the Greek teacher)
- She (S) was breathing (P).
- Jesus (S) healed (P) the blind man (Od).
- The disciples (S) had given (P) him (Oi) the loaves (Od).
- You (S) are (P) my friends (Cs).
- They (S) made (P) him (Od) king (Co).